Victim Rights in the Media
Some traumatic events draw attention from the media, leaving victims feeling overwhelmed and unsure of their rights. It may be helpful to designate a spokesperson for your family or business who can permit or decline media requests.
You Have the Right To....
- Say "NO" to an interview
- Select the time and place for an interview
- Request or deny a specific reporter
- Release a written statement and/or photo
- Exclude children from interviews
- Refrain from answering difficult questions
- Know the focus of the story
- Demand correction
- Request offensive photos or visuals be omitted
- Be treated with respect and dignity at all times
- File a complaint